Saturday, December 1, 2007

Benjamin Has Arrived!!!




Our little bundle of joy decided to enter this world last Saturday Nov 24Th at 8:05 am. He weighed 6# 10oz and was 20 in long.


As some of you know I had been having some blood pressure issues for the last few weeks and after being monitored very closely by my Dr's and the hospital they put me on some meds to try and get it to come down. It seemed to be working for the first two days and then last Friday(black Friday) I woke up not feeling very well. I had a massive headache and went ahead and took my meds and some Tylenol and laid down. An hour later the headache was worse and my blood pressure was even higher. My head was pounding so hard I couldn't see clearly and was crying uncontrollably. After putting in a call to my Dr we were told he was not on and who we needed to call. I was told to come in immediately and so Adam and my mom loaded up all the stuff and we headed into town. By the time we arrived it had been 2 1/2 hrs since my b/p meds and when the got me all hooked up to the machines it was still critically high so they of course admitted me to start the induction.


Pitocin was started at 1:30pm on Friday and we had a loooooong night of laboring ahead. For some reason they would increase the pitocin every hr but I wasn't changing at all. I finally got my epidural at 1:00am Saturday and was able to rest for a few hrs. At 5AM I was still at 2cm so my nurse called the Dr to see about breaking my water. When he arrived at 5:30AM I was at 5-6cm. Things went very very fast after my water was broken. Carrie barely made it back in time for this little guys arrival. By the time she got back at 7AM I had already started to transition. I only remember bits and pieces of things from that point on. My epidural wasn't working completely even after being given more meds. For some reason it only numbed my legs so I had 100% sensation everywhere else(this sucked!!) the next thing I know my head is being thrown back and the oxygen mask it being put on and they are rolling me from one side to the other. Later I was told that my b/p had spiked to 178/127 and Benjamin's heart rate had dropped to 60 and the nurse started calling for backup because I was complete. I remember hearing a nurse yell, But I just checked the board and she was only at a 2, next thing I know they are having me push and then suddenly telling me to stop because I was pushing to well. The Dr literally cam in just to catch him. My nurses deserve all the credit!!!!


The whole process was very exhausting and painful and now i know why they call it Labor, but it was totally worth it. Even with all the extra pains and almost having to be taken to the OR because my placenta wouldn't release(it finally did almost an hr later)and they were going to remove it surgically. He is worth it all!!

5 comments:

Jen Harrison said...

Congrats Tricia, I am sorry you had a rough labor, but even more excited for you that he is here!!

Anonymous said...

He is AWESOME!! I'm so glad I was able to see him - he's precious, beautiful, absolutely perfect! Thanks for sharing ~ Julie
(Michael and the girls enjoyed the pics too)

Anonymous said...

He is beautiful!! So glad he is finally here!! Congrats Tricia and Adam! Best Wishes little one! Hugs,Carol Boersma

Carrie said...

I am so happy that I was a part of his arrival and can't wait to see the little guy grow and change. You guys are awesome parents!! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Thanks Adam and Tricia for letting me share in Benjamins birth,what a blessing. GOD is good.