Saturday, October 13, 2007

Childbirth Class

Today we had our child birthing class at our OB's office and it was a long day ,5 1/2hrs but we really did learn a lot. The first half of the class was about what we have been feeling during our pregnancy and what is now considered normal. A big chunk of time was used to show Dad how to massage us moms and make us feel more comfortable now and during labor. I was really enjoying some of the techniques she showed and Adam has already been practicing them on me nightly :) I have had a lot of back pain these last few weeks and appreciate him constantly rubbing my back and neck. After we broke for lunch we came back and watched a birthing video and it wasn't that bad. Everyone had been so worried about Adam having to watch an actual baby being born and he didn't even squirm. On the way home he did tell me that he was glad I was the one giving birth and not him, that I have definitely been doing and will be doing all the work. I think the best thing about childbirth classes is that the fathers have a medical professional telling/showing them what the process in tales and they realizes it's not going to be fun, but it has a huge reward in the end and when we say something hurts, it really really hurts!

We didn't take the camera so there are no pics of the day, but my favorite exercises was when the dads had to hold cold packs in their non dominant hand and squeeze for 1min(like it was a contraction) then they immediately switched hands and did it again but this time the moms rubbed backs and they did the breathing exercise. They were all amazed at how much shorter the second one felt with just adding some breathing and back rubbing.

As for the rest of our week out here? Adam is flying a lot this week and I have a few parties to go to/host. We have another ultrasound Thursday am, then it's off to Tehachapi for some apple picking with the girls(Yum!). Friday is our next ob appointment and hopefully we will find out just how big they think he will be at birth. I am shooting for 7 1/2pds 21in long. Maybe I'll be close :) What does everyone else think? Currently they baby is almost 4pds, but will know more Thursday.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We knew Adam woulddo fine at this class,and he will be there for Tricia when she goes into labor. I believe Benjamin will weigh around 8lbs6 oz. LOVE you all. See you soon. LOVE MOM (NANA)